Info for Participants
Welcome to the Chen Participant Center!
Thank you for your interest in participating with the Chen Participant Center - the recruitment core for the new Chen Institute for Neuroscience.
Who Can Participate?
This opportunity is open to individuals from the general community who would like to participate in research studies at Caltech over the coming years. To enroll you must:
- be 18-65 years old
- be fluent in English
- have no history of neurological disorder such as brain injury or epilepsy
How to Enroll
- Step 1: submit this online form with your contact information
- Step 2: we will arrange a brief phone interview with you to review enrollment criteria and address your questions (~10 minutes)
- Step 3: complete online enrollment including consent and questionnaires online about your feelings, medical and educational history, habits and attitudes (~1-2 hours)
- Step 4: receive a $40 gift card when enrollment is complete
What Happens Next? Ongoing Opportunities for Research Participation
Once you have enrolled in the Chen Participant Center, you may receive invitations to participate in studies conducted by researchers in the Chen Institute for Neuroscience. These studies typically focus on social and emotional behavior and the brain systems that support them. Some studies can be done remotely, and some require in-person testing at Caltech.
Here are brief descriptions of the types of activities you might be asked to do:
- Behavioral studies. Many of our behavioral studies involve observing something on a computer screen and responding to what you see using button presses or just by looking at it. We also conduct a variety of surveys regarding participants' behavior, attitudes, emotions, and mood.
- MRI studies. In some of our experiments, we use MRI to examine brain structure and activity. During some of these studies, participants are looking at pictures or movies and making responses using button presses. These experiments are performed at the Caltech Brain Imaging Center (CBIC).
You will be compensated for the time committed to each study. Compensation is determined by length of time and type of experiment, may range from $20 to $50 per hour, and is paid immediately upon completing the study.
Interested in participating? Please complete this contact form